01 October 2019

Etsy Forums Follies: vintage sellers afraid of bad karma won't report fraudulent listings! #etsysellsvintage

One of the earliest Myths of the Etsyverse, dating back more than a decade, is that it is "bad karma" to report a fraudulent shop or listing to Etsy's Marketplace Integrity Team.  This complicit involvement with reselling by shop owners who themselves are honest and professional bears a large burden of the responsibility for the overwhelming presence of deceptive listings on the site today.

And the "bad karma" myth will not die!  In August 2019 an Etsy vintage seller started this thread:  I just came across a shop selling NEWER Barbies and doing quite well but   Here's the original post:



I cannot bring myself to report them. What is my responsibility as an Etsy seller? I have come across questionable shops before, but this is ridiculous! She has a 2018 doll in people's carts. I don't like to cause trouble, but I have a Vintage Shop and don't believe in cheating. Why can't I bring myself to turn these cheaters in?? I favored the shop just to see how long this goes on. I feel like I am hurting other Etsy sellers by not reporting this. Do YOU report the shops you find that are not in compliance with Etsy's guidelines? I worry about bad karma, maybe that is ridiculous, but it is why I try not to stir the pot so to speak. Thank you in advance for your advice on this matter. Am I part of the problem if I do not turn the shops I come across in? Will Etsy even do anything about it?


In reality, it doesn't matter that this dumbun won't report the shop.  Etsy wouldn't act on it, even if the AI that screens all reports submitted by the community passed it on to be viewed by a human member of the Marketplace Integrity Team.  Vintage has never had any kind of strict definition on the site, and has always been whatever Etsy management and staff would like it to be at the moment.

But this thread is loaded with entertainment, and is well worth a read.  It's a tasty bit of crazy from first post to the last.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but your views are always welcome. Moderation is intended to keep out spammers, not as censorship.

Etsy vintage sellers claim their Bubble Necklaces from a decade ago date from the 1950s through the 1990s #etsysellsvintage

It seems that yard sales are infested with Made in China statement necklaces from a decade or so ago.  Almost as soon as these styles began ...